Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Early to Rise

Get this, about three weeks ago, I decided to be reeally, reeally honest with myself about my weight. So, I stuffed myself into my favorite pair of slim designer jeans and medium size shirt.

"Oh my the horror," I said to myself as I looked into the mirror. My belly hung over my pants not like a muffin top but like a loaf of bread! I had to shield my eyes because it looked like the buttons on my shirt were about to pop off! It was a sad but empowering moment.

Since I graduated high school and I saw myself on home video walking across the stage in my purple gown like Grimace, I have pretty much been on an exercise and diet regiment. I'm a total yo-yo dieter. I work hard to lose the weight then I get lazy and put it right back on. It doesn't make any sense. But I'm working on that.

I made a contract with myself that for the next 90 days, come rain, snow, ice, or Armageddon, I will walk/run three miles a day. The best way to ensure I do that is to workout in the morning. So, for the past 15 days I've been waking up at 5:30am and running on our treadmill in the garage. It always smells like gasoline in there so I open the garage door and look for the sun to rise.

Well this morning, I really didn't want to run but I set the pace to 5 miles per hour and just did it. As I approached the 3 mile mark...I looked up and saw the red sun break the horizon. The fog hugged the ground and trees like a mother cuddles her newborn. It was picturesque. Moments like this make the buzzing of the alarm worth it.