Monday, July 21, 2008

Garage to Studio

After months and months of looking for that perfect place with just enough room at just the right price, John and I have finally decided to convert our two car garage into our new studio.



For the past several months Tom Hensley has been generous to loan us his second floor as our studio. My ultimate dream would be to buy the building from Tom and use the whole thing as a studio/workshop/apartment. Maybe one of these day when Tom retires I'll approach him about the idea.



But for now, John and I have a lot of painting to do. It's only been a little more than an year that we painted the whole house and garage in two days! John picked the colors (olive green,violet,tan) and used painters tape to get the lines perfect...only to now paint it all white! He wasn't a big fan of painting over his hard work...but I explained we needed white walls to bounce natural light into our pictures. Thank you John for being such a trooper!



The inspiration for a white, natural light studio came from this amazing photographer named Audrey Woulard. She's a famous children's photogrpher is Chicago. Her pictures are amazing. I realized the more and more I shot with only natural light the more and more I like it. So, just about everything in the studio will be white...except for the clothes my clients wear most of the time. And get this....I'm getting a new white couch from IKEA! I can't wait!

I want to take this opprotunity to thank all of our clients and friends that have helped and continute to help make our dreams a reality! I never thought I would be booking three sessions a week in such a short amount of time. And John never thought he would have to keep parking his car outside in the winter. I really am so blessed and grateful to be a photographer!