Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ashley M. | Spokesmodel

For the past month I have felt overwhelmed and stressed running the studio. I was cranky and it seemed like I had lost that little pep in my step.

But then, Ashley Mayer and her family, Carla, Gary, and sister Megan, walked in and without them knowing, helped me realize the joy and blessings I have all around me.

Ashley was born with Down Syndrome. In February 2010, she was diagnosed with leukemia. After a lengthy stay for chemotherapy treatments at University Hospital in Columbia, the good news is Ashley’s leukemia is in remission. Even so, she is still undergoing maintenance chemo to try to keep the cancer at bay. Because she has Down Syndrome, Ashley’s body can’t withstand full-power chemo, so her doctors do monthly checks to make sure the leukemia cells aren’t coming back.

Through it all, Carla says Ashley has had the best attitude and has never lost her happiness and joy. Ashley’s classmates at Knox County High have played a key role. Carla admits they have her oldest daughter a little spoiled with all of the love and attention they give her.

You see, I believe people come into our lives to deliver messages…weather we are open to receive the message or guidance is up to us. Ashley and her family made me realize that life IS full of joy and fulfillment…if we chose for it to be. So thank you Ashley for helping me shed the stress and find my way back to happiness!

If you would like to help the Mayer Family with out of pocket expenses, call Bank Midwest, 660.665.8385 to make a donation to the Ashley Mayer Fund.



Hector Contreras,
Kirksville Photographer
studio1004.net