Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I'm back! | Windy Boys

It's been a world-wind of road trips but I must say it's nice to be back home and in the studio. I'll share some of the pix of our road trip in the weeks to come.

First up are some pix that I wasn't able to share earlier because they were Christmas presents! Nicole wanted to bring some added attention to the friendly baseball rivalry she and her husband have between the Chicago Cubs and the Saint Louis Cardinals. To add some drama...she wanted the images of her sons in black and white and their caps in color.

I think this technique works best when the color is desaturated a bit. For example, when you look at the images of the boys....your eyes are first drawn to their expression and their faces. When dual color tone is used in full saturation...the first thing that hits you across the face is the part in bright color. That's cool for advertisements or even movie posters...but for portraits I like to keep the attention on the subjects. Toning down the color so that the tones of the black and white complement the color tones to me make the image much more harmonious. I totally love the way these turned out!



Hector Contreras,
Kirksville Photographer
studio1004.net