Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Madison Allen | children's session

When Madison's mom, Christy, and I sat in the studio gallery discussing clothing options and locations, my heart sank when she told me why this photo shoot had so much meaning.

You see, last year during the Red Barn Arts and Crafts Festival, John and I set up a booth to showcase our work. Well, that's where Christy first saw our pictures and began making plans for family portraits.

"I was blown away by the creative and exciting way you capture a person's true spirit," she said. "I immediately went home and told my husband about your work and how we had to schedule family pictures for the fall."

But little did Christy know that her plans for family portraits the following fall would be changed by her husband's untimely death.

"In February, Tad died in my arms from a pulmonary embolism. All our dreams and plans for fall pictures were shattered. Not a day goes by that I don't think of Tad and miss him greatly while slowly trying to put the pieces of our lives back together."


Christy's email goes on to say: "His untimely death has taught me several new truths, one being not to let money dictate all our plans. I'm not saying to be irresponsible with your bills, but sometimes it's okay to spend a little more than you should. I wish I would have done so last fall."

"Right here, right now is all God has promised us," my mom used to say that all the time to me growing up. Christy's story reminds me of that lesson.

Thank you, Christy, for your kind and inspiring words. Every time I see a picture of Madison, I will be reminded to stop, breathe, and enjoy each and every day to the fullest.