Saturday, February 7, 2009

My baby, Lu Parker | Miss USA 1994



One of the most loving, positive, and inspirational people I've ever met is my dear friend Lu Parker, Miss USA 1994. She and I worked together at the Fox TV station (KABB) in San Antonio.

I remember my first day on the job like it was yesterday. I walked into the newsroom and found a little note on my keyboard that read, "Welcome to the family!" It was signed, "Lu," with a smiley face and a Hershey's Kiss. I didn't know who Lu was, but the small gesture made me feel a lot less nervous.



When Lu walked into the newsroom, I was stunned by her physical beauty. With her million-dollar smile, she walked right up to me, shook my hand firmly and said, "Hi! I'm Lu. Congratulations!" It was such a genuine moment. And I realized her beauty wasn't only skin deep...it coursed through her veins. We shared many, many laughs and moments of personal growth. She taught me how to see the positive and beauty in everyone.

At any rate, Saturday's Miss Kirksville Pageant reminded me of Lu and her amazing book, Catching the Crown. She wrote the book to help young women understand the complex world of pageants. Catching the Crown: The Source for Pageant Competition covers everything from preparation to the big night of competition. Lu even includes personal stories and pictures from her exciting year as Miss USA. She had the dream, conquered it, and now shows you how to Catch the Crown.



So if you are a pageant hopeful, I totally recommend her book.
Here is a link to buy the book...and to her website.

And remember if you or someone you know is a pageant hopeful, I'm waiving the sitting fee ($55 value) during the month of February as part of our "Pageant Pix" special.

P.S. Lu: My baby, my baby, my baby! I'm SO proud of you! I love you lots and can't wait to see you soon! :)