Monday, March 31, 2008

Children, what a delight!

So this weekend be were fortunate to have back-to-back sessions with children. It was the first time I had kids come to the studio.

The Kinney Boys and their cousin, Isabel, were up first. Isabel did not want to participate...at all. Little Grant arrived with tears in his eyes and grumpy because he was sleepy. His mom, Kristin, was not sure the shoot would be successful. But I was up for the challenge.

John and I pulled the boys aside and started making all sorts of goofy faces. We started seeing smiles, then big smiles, finally laughter. Lots and lots of laughter. It was magic. Isabel eventually warmed up when John started telling them that I stunk! Hey, whatever gets them to laugh is fine with me.

Then Navarone arrived. He may be five years old, but he's got the soul of a 50-year-old.
He didn't need much direction. We just talked and laughed.
Then we headed to the Amtrak Station in La Plata. His mom had told me he liked trains so I thought it would be a great location. As our shoot wrapped up, we heard a train approaching. Navarone ran around in what we thought was excitement. But it wasn't. He totally freaked out. The train was perhaps too close or too loud. He grabbed my leg and burst into tears. I covered up his ears and tried to comfort him as much as possible. Next time I'll be sure not to be so close to the tracks.